Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Donating Bone Marrow/Mild CP

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Donating Bone Marrow/Mild CP

Postby klbrend » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:07 pm

I'm a 23 year old female with an extremely mild case of Cerebral Palsy. I do not use any form of walking assistance. I have a slight limp due to the surgeries (hamstring lengthening, achilles tendon lengthening). Otherwise, you wouldn't know I had CP unless I told you.

I registered on the National Bone Marrow Registry back in 2007. Last week, I received a letter saying I was a possible bone marrow match for a patient considering a transplant. I answered their questionnaire. The last question was,"Do you have any other serious illnesses?" I said Cerebral Palsy. She asked if it was mild. I said yes. She asked if I had muscle spasms. I said no, not at all. She did state my CP should not make me ineligible to donate. However, I'm very concerned this will hinder my chances of possibly being able to give someone a second chance at life.

Has anyone with Cerebral Palsy been able to donate? Thanks for any information.
klbrend

Re: Donating Bone Marrow/Mild CP

Postby pudetat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:03 pm

in the USA, it is unlikely. the reason is not that you personally wouldn't qualify, but it's because doctors here are so affraid to take any sort of risk for fear of being sued. :roll:

it's way easier for them to just say, "no, next patient please". hospital administrators are likely to veto any doctor's decision if one went out on a limb and said he would do it.
pudetat

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments