Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Drinking and cerebral palsy

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Drinking and cerebral palsy

Postby Heyhey » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Sorry this may be the wrong forum to be posting this in. It isn't about mobility tools, but rather about how I deal with my mobility.

I have mild cerebral palsy, which mostly affects my fine and gross motor skills. I can walk reasonably fine (that said, I don't have great balance and sometimes tend to fall or lose balance quite easily - nothing too major though).

Often when I concentrate on what I'm doing (i.e. walking), it's no problem, it's only when I stop thinking about it and/or I relax is there ever a problem.

When I drink alcohol, even an amount that only makes me tipsy, if I don't concentrate on walking steadily (more so than normal) it can become quite noticeable.

This might just be the alcohol consumption you say. But in my experience, when I drink a large amount and try and concentrate on my walking (both to avoid the obvious alcohol and cerebral palsy impermanent), it seems to be quite difficult because I have drunk too much.

So what I was wondering, is it a moderate amount of alcohol that is likely affecting my movement, or does it make it harder with having mild cerebral palsy - especially when I'm trying my best to concentrate?

As I've said, it is mild cerebral palsy ... so if anyone has any professional knowledge (or knows a lot about this kind of thing), or has any experience I would appreciate their input.
Heyhey

Re: Drinking and cerebral palsy

Postby kevin890 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:11 am

It is important to understand and consider the child’s needs and condition before choosing and implementing splints, AFOs and other devices. Remember, their use will immediately limit certain movements for your child. As a result, it’s a good idea to think twice, do your research and learn how to use them safely and wisely.
Great liars are also great magicians.-Adolf Hitler
master planned community|austin new homes
kevin890

Postby Heyhey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:46 pm

kevin890 wrote:It is important to understand and consider the child’s needs and condition before choosing and implementing splints, AFOs and other devices. Remember, their use will immediately limit certain movements for your child. As a result, it’s a good idea to think twice, do your research and learn how to use them safely and wisely.

Just to clarify - I'm not a parent of a child with cerebral palsy (not a parent at all actually), I have cerebral palsy myself.

I don't use any kind of mobility tools, and I don't intend to (as I only have mild cerebral palsy and can walk reasonably well/well enough). My question is more about how cerebral palsy mixed with alcohol may or may not effect the brain and make movements worse.
Heyhey

Postby orlando » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:23 am

Was just trying to find support for something I had heard about the effects of alcohol on people with CP. I heard from a brain injury OT that one unit = 4 units for people who have acquired brain damage, so this may account for why you feel the effects more than you think you would. I am doing an assignment, but can't find the support for this, but it may be of interest to you, as your question came up on the google search!
orlando

Postby pudetat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:57 pm

there are a number of factors to consider here. there is the obvious desired effect alcohol has as a muscle relaxant. be advised that there are dozens of drugs that would be a better choice in this regard. alcohol was also used in ancient times to temper spasticity, and was probably the first drug used for this purpose. this use is due to alcohol's depressant effect on the motor cortex of the brain, and all motor nerves in general. the benefits of alcohol as a therapy for CP absolutely ends there. :!:

okay, now lets talk about a few of the reasons that alcohol is counter-indicated for patients with CP.

1. addiction. if you can't understand how bad it is to be addicted to alcohol, then nothing i can post here will stop you, good luck and God bless, you're going to need it if you persue consuming alcohol. as for me i want no part in it. :evil:
2. tollorance. people rapidly develope a tollorance to the effects of alcohol, so that a dose that would be effective today, will not be nearly as effective in subsequent doseings.
3. harmfull drug interactions. alcohol is specificly listed as counterindicated on almost every prescription drug on the market, and most non-prescribed drugs as well, even ones thought to be safe like asprin. alcohol tends to amplify the undesireable side effects of medication while nullifying the desired ones.
4. better drug choices are available.
5. sugar emulation. the mechanism by which alcohol is metabolized is very similar to sugar. this causes the body to get alcohol and sugar confused, which in turn can cause problems with insulin levels in the blood. this in turn has a cascade effect on all the other endocrine hormones, including addrenaline. so, rather counterintuitivly, huge rises in blood sugar cause muscular weakness rather than strength. this can occur at doses far below intoxication and even far below any other kind of muscle relaxation or motor nerve depression. since most patients with CP allready have less muscle mass and strength than normal, it explains how even a small dose can have such a dramatic effect on mobility of a person with CP.
6. self-deception. alcohol has an initial effect of providing a feeling of euphoria, (a pleasant sort of woo hoo! experiance.) this feeling can be so desireable, to the person doing the drinking, that he or she will tend to believe that the alcohol is having more and better effects on their medical condition than what is real. i assure you that this is mearly an illusion.

i will stop here for now. i believe i have addressed the original poster's questions as intended, if not, feel free to respond.
pudetat

Postby JosephWilliams » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:20 am

I truly understand why the effective legal system could change the world. We should pay more attention to this.assignmenthelper has many reviews and you could check it!
JosephWilliams

Postby cm239136 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:09 am

I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . .
<a href='http://google.com/'>facebook</a>
cm239136

Postby coreanderson23 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:56 am

Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.
https://csgrid.org/csg/team_display.php?teamid=321082
coreanderson23

Postby coreanderson23 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching yahoo for this acne issue, I must say your site is really helpful I also love the design, its amazing!. I don’t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.
where to buy socks
coreanderson23

Postby coreanderson23 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:29 am

Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.
Socks
coreanderson23

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments