Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Looking for New York parent to talk to for a story

Why I created this forum

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Looking for New York parent to talk to for a story

Postby diana_leighsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:11 am

Hi there,
My name is Diana and I join this discussion very cautiously because I don't want to be intrusive or insensitive in any way. I am a journalist in New York studying at Columbia University and I really want to do a story about what it's like being a parent of a child who is living with cerebral palsy due to medical malpractice. I had a conversation with a friend about it recently and, in doing some reading, found out that more than 5000 children are diagnosed with cerebral palsy each year in the U.S. That is huge!

My story is a narrative piece (a long-form story about someone's experience) so I would need to spend some hours with you (at your convenience) just hearing about your experience, your concerns, difficulties, anger - anything you've gone through that you're comfortable talking about. The idea here is not to barge into your life and ask a bunch of questions and then publish it for all the world to see, I'm not that kind of journalist. I just want to listen and tell your story as you tell it. I spoke to attorney Robert Tessler this morning about medical malpractice and cerebral palsy and he told me how harrowing it is for parents and families to go through. This kind of story is not written about often enough, in my opinion. I think that's because it's hard to get into contact with people who have been through this and a lot of writers are lazy about finding people to talk to.

The story will first be handed in to my professors to be edited and will then be published on a website, www.metroreport.org. If you would like more people to read it, I will also pitch it to other publications. I have until next weekend to write the story so if you're in New York and you'd be open to talking to me, please email me at diana.neille@gmail.com or phone/text on 347 440 5032. I would be most interested and so grateful to meet you.

Diana Neille
diana_leighsa

Return to Welcome - About Me