Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Neuro - cognitive therapy.

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Neuro - cognitive therapy.

Postby SimonK » Tue May 19, 2009 6:39 am

Hi.

My little boy, who suffers from profound CP has been seeing Andrew Brereton, a rehabilitation therapist from Snowdrop in Devon, in the UK for about a year now. In that time he has made solid progress especially in his vision, (he was cortically blind) and in his hand function. (He didn't know what his hands were for, now he throws things at me)! Although I know he'll never be 'cured' I am really optimistic now about his future. Anyone else got any experiences of this therapy?
SimonK

Postby LizinTX » Thu May 21, 2009 3:27 pm

Not yet, but we may be looking into it. I am about to post in the parents section on why.
Mom to Jacob (13) Type 1 Diabetic, Sarah (10) CP, and proud wife of Dan.
LizinTX

Re: Neuro - cognitive therapy.

Postby snowdrop_cdc » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:09 am

Thank you Simon. I hadn't expected to find one of our families on here, but thanks for the kind words. I am just spreading the word about the new Snowdrop website, which is under construction. Please accept this invitation to look around Snowdrop's new website, where you can read about our approach to treating a wide range of neuro-developmental problems, - you can join our members area and connect with others and you can ask questions on our forum, or simply post there concerning issues which are important to you.
snowdrop_cdc

Postby StrongInside » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:58 am

I've never heard of Snowdrop. Is it a facility or is it a step by step program? If it IS a facility, where is it located? I would certainly like to learn more about Snowdrop for my niece's sake. If my niece can gain some sort of improvement through this program/facility, than it's certainly worth every penny spent. I'll be sure to research this and introduce my sister to it if it seems promising. Thanks for the information, Simon. :)
Peace begins with a smile.
Mother Teresa
If you say "I've Fallen and I can't get up." I'll be there for you.
StrongInside

Postby kidcobb23 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:54 pm

I have never heard of anyone that has used cognitive therapy to treat cerebral palsy. We have a nephew that had complications at birth that caused his cerebral palsy. He also has loss of vision in both eyes and my sister will be happy to know that there is a treatment that is known to have positive results on vision. Is this type of therapy gaining popularity around the country, or is it still considered experimental?
kidcobb23

Postby tamar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks everyone for highlighting focus on cognitive therapy. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am looking for some info about CP and I think I am finally at the exact place. Please tell me if a 14 year old girl can have this therapy. What is the success percentage? Thanks people.
"Live Your Life"
Medical Alarm
tamar

Postby subrata » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:08 am

The approach is based upon certain irrefutable facts concerning brain function, which are applied to the treatment of children's developmental difficulties. The first of these is brain plasticity. It is now unchallengeable that the brain is capable of changing its structure and functioning in response to the environment in which it finds itself. We can see this in the growth of new synaptic connections and the pruning of inefficient ones.

The question then is, what do we mean by 'environment' and how can we manipulate this variable in order to encourage the brain to respond in the way we wish?

The brain takes in information from the sensory environment, through the eyes, ears, nose, mouth and skin. Specific areas are responsible for processing this information and then re-routing it to the appropriate part of the cortex for further attention, evaluation and action. When the brain is working as it should, then all of this is achieved with the maximum efficiency, without you or I ever noticing what is occurring. However, as we are all aware, the brain does not always work as it should! For many children, this sensory information either does not reach the relevant part of cortex at all, or if it does, the signal has been weakened sufficiently so that processing becomes almost impossible. For other children, the sensory stimuli reaches the cortex for processing in a distorted manner and the child is overwhelmed by the world it perceives. :D :D
subrata

Postby snowdrop_cdc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:07 am

Hi. Snowdrop is a treatment programme based upon the following simple truths. It does not base it's treatment methods in theory. We don't have theories, we follow the evidence!

We know that the development of the child depends upon an interplay between genetic expression and stimulation which the child gains from the environment; - with the environment being by far the most dominant force.

We know that what a brain injury does is to prevent the stimulation from the environment from reaching the brain in the correct manner.

We know that the brain is plastic, - that by processes known as 'long term potentiation' and 'long term depression' the brain makes new connections and prunes disused connections in response to stimulation or lack of stimulation.

We know that repetition of a stimulus is the crucial factor in encouraging long term potentiation.

We know that although all children develop at different rates, that the developmental pathway in each area is orderly and can be charted.

Using these simple facts we are able to construct developmental activities, which can be repeated by a child's family, which will act as an increased environmental stimulus and encourage the forming of new connections in the brain, thereby producing developmental function in the child.

In answer to some of your questions, - yes I have treated children with visual problems, such as CVI and achieved success, - indeed you can speak to the parents whose children can now see.

Is it suitable for a 14 year old girl? The age range of the children (and adults) I see is 6 weeks, up to 56 years!

If you would like me to answer more questions, I am quite happy to chat. Being dad to a little boy with CP myself I know what a huge step it is to trust and embark on a new therapy. I will chat forever, without any obligation at all. (Once I get going on brain plasticity you will have difficulty shutting me up!)http://www.cerebralpalsyforum.net/posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=915#
snowdrop_cdc

Postby subrata » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:34 am

Stimulant medication, at present, is the best understood approach to improving cognitive functioning in those with ADHD, however medication doesn't work for everyone, and many individuals have a strong desire to find a non-medication approach to treatment. The clinician and her client should work together on many levels to identify and change factors that interfere with good cognitive functioning. Cognitive functioning is strongly affected by stress levels, hormonal fluctuations, sleep, exercise, health habits, and many other environmental factors. The therapist can work closely with her client to help identify healthy daily habits — such as improved diet, exercise, sleep patterns that can all help to improve cognitive functioning.
subrata

Postby wilsonjohn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks fro taking discussion on the topic. Very helpful.
wilsonjohn

Postby mike0009 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:44 am

I am sorry about your son .
The goal of neurocognitive therapy is to manipulate sensory information in order to encourage the brain to process that information more normally.1 Neurocognitive therapy is used in the treatment of people whose brain functioning is limited due to developmental disabilities.1 Neurocognitive therapy is also used in the treatment of schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress disorder, and ADHD.

Fast Facts:

The brain is able to change its structure and functioning based on the learning environment provided.2
This therapy is effective for people cerebral palsy or other developmental disabilities.2
Sensory impairments can affect social, language, and mobility skills.2
This therapy diagnoses a person's current level of cognitive development, and provides the supports necessary to help them reach the next level.2
so don't give up......
mike0009

Postby bud1021 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi, I'm a 26 year old man living in the United States and I have CP in my right side. About 6 months ago, I Decided to try and get as much out of my body as possible. I workout 3 days a week and take martial arts. I have no medical insurance, but I've been blessed enough to see a doctor pro-bono about twice a year. I approached him a few months ago about treatment for what I thought was ADD. He didn't seem to believe me and refused to prescribe medication. I didn't realize that my trouble with short term memory, focus and performing task (remembering the steps to things I've done 100 times) was a result of my CP as I'm otherwise intelligent. I just read an article tonight about how CP effects all of these areas. MY question is what's actually involved in your treatment, what things can I do to improve my cognition, and are drugs for ADHD effective for what I have. I feel so vindicated to know I'm not crazy. Thanks
bud1021

Postby truthprowler » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:00 am

truthprowler

Postby david101 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:42 am

It is amazing to read such stories from all of you.Keeping faith and hope alive for your child.

gulf coast claims
david101

Postby Justinjude » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Andrew Brereton and his team is doing a great job on Neuro Cognitive therapy. Cognitive psychology is a vast area and covers much more than just studying. Following practical approach and analyzing every small bit of data is required to develop something useful in future. It's sad that until today, there is no cure for cerebral palsy but with early and ongoing treatment, one can reduce the effects of this order.
Justinjude

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments