Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Stem cell treatment

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Lori-ann, Tmagic650

Stem cell treatment

Postby rightside » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:11 am

Hi

I just recently came upon this site. At the minute I'm looking into stem cell research treatments for CP and am wondering if anyone on here has any experience of them? In particular places like the Beijing Tiantan Puhua hospital in China seem to suggest they are making great inroads into treatments.

However, my natural scepticism is coming to the fore and while I can see the good news stories of some patients I wonder if anyone has any bad news stories? I am a 32 year old male who has mild right hemiplegia since birth. I've always held out hope that a treatment may be found but am reluctant to spend $40k on a treatment without doing plenty of due diligence on it!

Any comments would be great.
rightside

Postby sarahsmom » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Hello. I too looked at this place for my daughter and with the help of her doctors we decided that this was NOT worth it. First in China (sorry I did spend a lot of time researching this...months actually) they use donated stem cells. You don't know where they came from and for your body to be able to use them, they pretty much have to strip your immune system. Even then, you run the risk of your body rejecting the cells or the donor stem cells attacking your body (called graft verus host). For our daughter, we felt that there was just too much risk. However, we found a place in Germany called the X-cell center which uses a person's own stem cells (from the hip bone) to do the procedure. This means no risk of rejection (since its from your own body) and no need to strip the immune system. Hope this helps! :D
sarahsmom

Re: Stem cell treatment

Postby kidcobb23 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

It's a shame that we don't do more stem cell research in the US. We are falling behind other countries like China when it comes to stem cell research and other controversial medical treatments. I believe that we need to start spending more money on stem cell research because it has a lot of potential to treat a variety of diseases of the body.
kidcobb23

Postby mommy23 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:15 am

Hi, Im the mother of a 15 year old daughter who suffers with severe Cerebral Palsy. I have been searching for years for some kind of treatment that could help her out in anyway. She has recently been diagnoised with a discloated hip for the first time and other medical issues as well, sleep apenia and I was recently informed by an ENT at St.Louis Gardinal Glennon Hospital that her muscles in her throat are weaking which in turn is causing her to chooke on everything she eats and drinks. She told me that this is not unusual in children with Cerebral Palsy. I just watched a link on here about the 2 boys who went to Mexico to have the stem cells implanted and they taped the whole procedure and to my suprise it looks so easy. The little boy looked remarkable when he awoke and within a day went from having 50 seizures to 2. I'm really serious about looking into this as I am desperate, worn out physically and emontially and for only being 33 every bone in body hurts, but it's not me that I care about, it's my baby girls needs that come first as they always have. I just pray for a miracle. She's my life..Does anybody know the difference in having the procedure done in mexico verses China/Japan?
mommy23

Postby tamar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 am

Hi Mommy,

I am here because i was searching for some good informative sites related to Cerebral Palsy. Actually my neighbor's daughter is affected by this disorder and she is always mentally tensed and can't do things in proper way. She recently got to know about stem cell therapy and decided to go for it. What are the chances of a successful therapy? Where she should go for it?
"Live Your Life"
Medical Alarm
tamar

Postby Toronto » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:15 am

In Louisiana, there are special procedures which must be followed in medical malpractice cases. For example, in Louisiana, a claim must be filed with the State before a lawsuit can be filed. This claim is then reviewed by a panel of three Louisiana doctors, who give an opinion about whether any health care provider committed malpractice.Only after the panel has reached its decision can a lawsuit be filed. There are many complicated details to this Louisiana panel procedure, and many traps for the inexperienced Louisiana attorney
Toronto

Postby jhon11 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:31 am

I have come to know a article in internet about stem cell treatment in Puhua Hospital in Beijing.Their sentence's sound to me good.They apply their traditional chines medicine in this case.But they didn't include any hint for that.So treatment of your child is belongs to your decision.
jhon11

Postby subrata » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Stem cell treatment and stem cell therapy may be considered controversial and are, perhaps, viewed as akin to science fiction by some people. However, stem cell treatments have been used regularly in veterinary practice since 2003 for the repair of bone and tissue damage, and have a wealth of research highlighting their efficacy in both humans and other animals. Stem cells are found in plentiful supply in embryonic tissue, but are also found in adult tissues. These cells have the ability to self-renew, giving rise to countless generations of new cells with varying abilities to differentiate into specific cell types. By introducing stem cells into an area of damage or pathology, the body can be encouraged to repair and renew regardless of how old the trauma is. Stem cells also show application for inhibiting the death of cells (apoptosis) through disease, making them candidates for use in treating degenerative illnesses such as Lou Gehrig’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s.
Have sound health

Postby wilsonjohn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:53 am

Stem cells are distinguished from other cell types by two important characteristics. First, they are unspecialized cells capable of renewing themselves through cell division, sometimes after long periods of inactivity. Second, under certain physiologic or experimental conditions, they can be induced to become tissue- or organ-specific cells with special functions. In some organs, such as the gut and bone marrow, stem cells regularly divide to repair and replace worn out or damaged tissues. In other organs, however, such as the pancreas and the heart, stem cells only divide under special conditions.
wilsonjohn

Postby himusarker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Stem cell treatments are a type of intervention strategy that introduces new cells into damaged tissue in order to treat disease or injury. Many medical researchers believe that stem cell treatments have the potential to change the face of human disease and alleviate suffering.[1] The ability of stem cells to self-renew and give rise to subsequent generations with variable degrees of differentiation capacities,[2] offers significant potential for generation of tissues that can potentially replace diseased and damaged areas in the body, with minimal risk of rejection and side effects. :) :D :)
himusarker

Postby Alyssa28 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:53 am

Hi friends, Last week my friend told about stem cell transplant. The stem cell transplant clinics that deal with stem cell conditions and different processes of the disease. Embryonic stem cells and development continues to offer healing effects, which is one of the most promising aspects of cell research and therapies.
Last edited by Alyssa28 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alyssa28

Postby brookster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:09 pm

My niece has Cerebral Palsy as well as Optic Nerve Hypoplasia which is a condition effecting her vision as a result of brain damage during birth. She was severely handicapped and not able to walk or talk, and was legally blind among other conditions. Our family researched all the treatments available and realized that stem cell treatment was the best route to take. We researched going to China and Germany, and finally found a Doctor that is a leader in stem cell treatments that has an office in California and Mexico, and had the resume and results we were looking for. Since my niece's treatment she is no longer legally blind as she was before, and she can walk, go up stairs, etc. She still is unable to talk, but she seems to be making slow progress on that as well. She has improved dramatically with these treatments, and has became a lot easier to care for as she was severely handicapped.

This treatment has been a godsend for us and I wanted to tell our success story so more people try stem cell treatments since they work if done correctly, and hopefully the laws will change in this country so more people can benefit. The key is that the right kind of stem cells are used for the diagnosis and that a competant Doctor does them, so do plenty of research. I think it will eventually be legal here so our technology can make great strides in perfecting the treatment, but we have to get it legalized first. I'm glad to see that high profile athletes like Peyton Manning and Terrell Owens have recently undergone stem cell treatments to recover from sports injuries, as I think that will shed a positive light that these treatments are beneficial and should be legalized. As of now these high profile athletes are afraid to go public because of the stigma regarding stem cells since majority of the population is uneducated about the process and doesn't understand. We are trying to spead the word to people that this works, so if you have had success from the treatment, please post your story. Here are a couple links about Peyton Manning and Terrell Owens stem cell treatments in case you haven't seen them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/1 ... 70763.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-wp7544
brookster

Postby doc » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:34 am

Hi . I am not native speaker so please forgive me about my English mistakes. I am a MD, PhD and I work almost only with children with cerebral palsy(rehabilitation). I just want to share my experience in stem cells treatment for cerebral palsy.Several my patients underwent stem cells treatment, in China and in a Germany, preciously X cell center (It was not my advice) and neither me not my patients had any benefit. I also participated in a congress where man from X center explained their work and, sorry but it was one of the worst lecture I ve ever heard without any logical or medical explanation about treatment, just comercial. On the EACD 2010 in Belgium stem cell treatment was described in one lecture as a promising way to help people with CP in a future, but also was mentioned X cell ( and some other treatments) as fraud for parents. I personally believe there is a great potential in a stem cells treatment but in nowadays we simple do not know enough for clinical use and what is most impotant we do not know about potential risks( lot of them!) and side effects.
doc

Postby Jim » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:21 am

When an organ is degenerating, the cells are breaking down and losing their ability to function. Stem cell therapy is an amazing modern medical advancement that goes straight to the source of the problem—damage on the cellular level. Stem cell therapy is a procedure by which damaged, diseased, or malfunctioning cells anywhere in the body are replaced by introducing healthy stem cells to that area of the body. Stem cell therapy is a promising treatment for all kinds of degenerative diseases because of the stem cells’ regenerative abilities.

Stem cell therapy sounds like a relatively new concept, but there are stem cell therapy treatments with which most of us are already familiar. Bone marrow transplant is one type of stem cell therapy (specifically hematopoietic cell therapy) that has been in use for the past 40 years for regenerating the blood and immune systems, especially for the treatment of leukemia.

The stem cells are infused directly into the patient's blood stream, which migrate to the bone marrow. Inside the bone marrow environment, the stem cells begin differentiating into the three blood cell types - red blood, white blood and platelets. This initiates the regeneration of the patient's blood and immune system.

A new type of stem cell therapy (specifically mesenchymal cell therapy) has come on the scene in recent years for replacement of damaged or diseased tissues and organs and also for treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, providing relief from what was once thought to be a hopeless cause. The goal of mesenchymal cell therapy is to treat diseases of non-hematopoietic tissues in an analogous fashion to treating leukemia with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
Jim

Postby StemCell » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:45 pm

kidcobb23 wrote:It's a shame that we don't do more stem cell research in the US. We are falling behind other countries like China when it comes to stem cell research and other controversial medical treatments. I believe that we need to start spending more money on stem cell research because it has a lot of potentials to treat a variety of diseases of the body.

It is not as true, in the USA the r3 stem cell is making the great contribution to the stem cell treatments. You may visit them and try to recommend to other for who needs regenerative medicine treatments.
https://r3stemcell.com/chicago-il/pain-management/
StemCell

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments