Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Looking for some help

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Looking for some help

Postby horserox22 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:26 am

My name is Jessi, and I am a junior at Lynbrook High School, located on Long Island. Currently, I am in my fourth year of research studies in the Lynbrook High School Research Program. This year, we are expected to begin an independent research project, which will be sent in to various competitions, and will be worked on for the next two (or more) years. Throughout the years, I have done a lot of work with children and adults with disabilities, and became very interested in Cerebral Palsy in particular. So, I chose a topic which deals with Cerebral Palsy and Hippotherapy as a treatment tool. My idea was to measure the gross motor function, emotional/psychological changes, and development in children with disabilities. My current plan is to recruit subjects through local therapeutic riding programs. I would hand out surveys to the families which agree to participate. These surveys would consist of various parts: one is to be completed by the parent, and one is to be completed by a physician/Physical Therapist (this part would deal with the gross motor function scale). However, I also may end up just observing their time in hippotherapy, and testing them using the Gross Motor Function Measure before and after they ride.

I'm having a lot of issues in working out everything in my project, and was wondering if anyone here could help. Or, if you know of any doctors, professors, or therapists that I can contact, who may be useful for me in my project. In addition, it would be great if I could get some feedback from you, being affected by Cerebral Palsy or having family members affected. It would be very helpful to me if you could get back to me. Thank you for your time!

Jessi
horserox22

Postby Tmagic650 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:11 pm

Hello horserox22,
... and welcome!
It's the middle of winter here and although Montana is truly horse country, I never really enjoyed riding the beasts. My quadracepts and adductors have always been tight. This doesn't make for a very comfortable ride, to say the least. For children, that can tollerate the wide gerth of a horse, this type of thearpy is great. Have you tried using Google search for info on this in your area of the country?
Spastic Diplegia CP
aka Kurt... Sometime walks, sometime rolls
Tmagic650

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments