Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Mobility around the Kitchen

Discuss mobility tools (hand controls for driving, wheelchairs, walking aids) used to assist you with everyday life.

Mobility around the Kitchen

Postby MysticBlueX3 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a 3rd year design student at Arizona State University. I also have a B.S. in mechanical engineering. I do not have CP. This semester I am doing a housewares project. I decided to design a kitchen knife for people with CP. One of the occupational therapist (OTs) I met with suggested I seek some feed back on an online forum. What a great idea! So here I am. Looking for some feedback and advice.

Why a knife you ask? My wife's aunt owns a restaurant that is staffed by people with disabilities. She is constantly complaining about needing better cutlery for her staff. So I thought, why not try to design a knife! So that's where the idea came from.

So far, I have done as much research as I can on my own about CP. I've also met with a hand full of OTs. During my research, I've found a lot of adaptive equipment for eating but not much for the preparation of food (I did find some adaptive cutting boards). I have come up with some very rough cardboard mockups of different knife concepts that I thought might help someone with CP. Please let me know what you think! i.e. what's important, what's not, what's a good idea, what's not, anything aspect of using a knife I overlooked. I welcome any and all criticism.

My target audience are mid to high functioning individuals with CP. Age group: teenagers and up.
My goal for this knife is to 1) help someone with CP to improve their cooking experience (make it easier to use a knife) or to aid someone to rehabilitate and gain more range of motion.

Again. I really appreciate any feedback or insight you guys can provide. Thanks!
MysticBlueX3

Re: Mobility around the Kitchen

Postby pudetat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 am

try using a handle that has a grip like brass knuckles. i think it would be way harder to drop, and having fingers captivated in the handle should facilitate better control
pudetat

Postby Justinjude » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 am

These designs are really impressive and I must praise you for all whole hearted efforts. I am not good at engineering so I could not suggest you more but would rather vote for the third design with the adjustable handle. It offers a clear advantage that it comes with a adjustable handle.
Justinjude

Postby reqizuj » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Mobility around the kitchen is completed for the working conditions. The ladies have been secured with dissertation writing services uk reviews for the enhancement of the mobile items. Mobility is linked with the surrounding of the kitchen for the formation of the brass for the future patterns for the people and all players.
reqizuj

Return to Mobility Tools