Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

22 Month Old on Baclofen

Baclofen is a medicine currently being used for Cerebral Palsy. If you use Baclofen or have a Intrathecal Baclofen pump, post your experiences or questions here.

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

22 Month Old on Baclofen

Postby CheysMommy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:51 pm

So my daughter is 22months old and was just put on baclofen. She does not have the pump- but was given the pills- which I have to crush up and disolve in water to push through her g-button.
I am interested in learning more about this- as I have really noticed it makes her extrememly tired all the time- and as she was holding her head up with tone- she now has NO head control and flops like a rag doll...
Our doctors seem clueless, and only perscribed this to her after our therapist mentioned it (nothing was ever said about meds to help with tone before)...
CheysMommy

Re: 22 Month Old on Baclofen

Postby KizMac » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:20 pm

How did you go on this after all?
My daughter is 2 and has previously been on a muscle relaxant, she presented the same way you described above...
I was hoping this was a better alternative...
Did it end up improving or did you move onto something else?
Coffee is a drug. A warm, delicious drug!!
KizMac

Postby Justinjude » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 pm

Baclofen has been used widely for the treatment of spastic movement disorders. You can find some worthy discussions here:- http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cere ... r-old.html
Justinjude

Postby pudetat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 am

well, your 22 month old is now about 6. are you happy with the outcome? seriously did the doctor even look up the drug in the Physicians Desk Referance before just writing out a presciption? american doctors have the annoying habit of handing out pills to get their patients and their parents to go away and shut up, spending only seconds actually with the patient and spending a great deal of time worrying about how to bill you, or the insurance co. or they are covering their asses for the lawyers.

i apologize for standing on my private soap-box here, baclofen has a deffinute purpose and use. it is under serious debate, however, if there is any real benefit to giving it to any patient that is too young to communicate, and as to the serious long term effects of routinely giving infants and toddlers powerful drugs. drug companies are generally unwilling to do the expensive research needed to get approvals to use a drug on small children. this is because in almost all cases, the drug will not be approved for young children, and the money and liability incurred from doing such research is almost never worth the investment. children's asparin and tylenol are the only two exceptions i can think of off-hand. the internet does not seem to reveal any other exceptions.

parents still present their doctors with problems for which there is no cure, and doctors, being human, want to be able to do something about it. the result is that doctors effectivly use young patients as lab-rats with regards to how it may affect them when they get older. there is a lengthy list of tragic results of this type of experimentation. do you really want your child to be a lab-rat for a drug that has allready drawn some serious questions as to its effect on still- developing brains of small children. this is to say nothing of any other side effects that a healthy 22 month old would not be able to communicate about, to say nothing of a child with CP. marijuana has been shown to have the beneficial effects of baclofen, with less severe side effects, but would you really have your 22mo old smoking pot? maybe it wouldn't be all that harmfull, as some studies suggest, but how does one really know?
pudetat

Postby Torrisheacer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 am

I have read your post thoroughly one of my friends has also faced the same situation but his child all good now. I will ask about this problem from him and after that I will surely reply you. I am searching here essayontime.com reviews and while searching about it, I have found your post. I would love to help you because I can understand your situation.
Torrisheacer

Return to Baclofen and Intrathecal Baclofen Treatments