Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Swimming - Please Help

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Swimming - Please Help

Postby TD12 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 am

Hi everyone,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I am a management student at University of Sheffield currently working with some mechanical engineering students to develop a sporting aid for a young girl called Katie with severe cerebral palsy.
As I'm sure you are all aware, swimming can have some incredible benefits for people with Cerebral Palsy... It can alleviate the stress gravity places on muscles, help with co-ordination development, increase blood and nervous system development, increase muscle strength and most importantly.... its great fun!
We are currently developing a float system which supports people with Cerebral Palsy safely in the water, similar to a life-jacket but with a float beneath the head as well, allowing the user to lie horizontal in the water. As you might already be aware, there are products similar to this already on the market. Our product is unique in three ways however...

1. It it heated, offering genuine warmth around the torso to the user - Helping alleviate the muscle stiffness and the increased spasticity of muscles which can occur in cold water causing potential health risks.
2. It has Detachable buoyancy aids - Inflatable aids around the torso which can be removed or added depending on the strength or capability of the user - It can be used by swimmers of all ability.
3. It is fully adjustable - The User will not grow out of it over a period of time - It will fit all ages and sizes.

We are in the early stages of developing this product and would really appreciate some thoughts or feedback from you... as you are the people who know best!
The sorts of questions we would love you to be able to answer for us are:

- Would your child be willing to try the product?
- Do you think the product would benefit your child's athletic ability?
- Can you think of any practical issues we may have over-looked?
- Would you purchase the product yourself? Or would you use it / rent it if the service was available from your local pool? Alternatively, would you suggest that your child's school purchase one?
- Would your child enjoy the experience?

If it is at all possible for you to give us any form of feedback (positive or negative) or answer any of the questions above we would be incredibly thankful! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post.

Kind Regards,
TIm
TD12

Re: Swimming - Please Help

Postby Justinjude » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:14 pm

First of all a big thanks to you for developing this product. It's so good to know that you people feel the pain that these patients feel and try to give comfort to them. Here are the answers to your questions:-

1- I am sure every parent must be willing to try this product if it provides benefit to their child.
2- Yes, I strongly feel that this product would benefit a child's athletic ability.
3- The biggest issue is comfort and risk. Proper safety standards must be maintained before launching this product as this product would be the only savior for the patient in water. Hence, there should be no scope of any faults.
4- I would rent it and also suggest the school authorities to buy this product.
5- That's a question only a child can answer.

Thumbs up to your efforts and best of luck!
Justinjude

Re: Swimming - Please Help

Postby pudetat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:05 am

as an educator in the US, i can tell you that getting a school district to buy one of these would be a difficult ordeal, you'ld have better luck with private schools. most school districts do not have a swimming pool. lots of public pools in the USA do not allow patrons to bring their own "stuff" into the pool. many of them give you a hard time if you have to do a wheelchair transfer to get the person into the water. all this is because they are affraid of getting sued. so your biggest obstacle is going to be chaseing off all the lawyers!
pudetat

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments