Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Botox for my two and a half year old

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Botox for my two and a half year old

Postby kamsmom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:43 pm

I was wondering if anyone has had botox done for their little one. Have you seen a difference? Do you think it works? How do the docs inject botox? What are the side effects? My son's doctor is wanting to inject botox in his hamstrings to loosen the spasticity. Let me know your experience. Thanks.
kamsmom

Postby Angeiscoool » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi, I have Botox every 12 weeks, its brilliant, I have it in my inflectors (inner thighs) and right hamstring. it is a little painful to start but oh my god the relief from it is incredible.

For instance, I have been spasming in my right leg for a decade, 1 injection and I am now able to walk, aided of course but my freedom is back.

The side effects, happiness, independence, painlessness, oh and a mild flu like symptom for a few hours after the injection.

Been on it for 2 years now after finding that Physio was doing more damage to my disintegrated right hip (undiagnosed for 20 years) and my dose is going down all the time and the length of time between shots is getting longer too. My nurse thinks I will eventually get to 6 monthly which is great but not disastrous if it don't happen.

For me, go for it, honestly the bit of crying from the needles and stretching will be way out weighed by the pleasure your son will get.

Ange
Angeiscoool

botox injections

Postby natang » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 pm

HI there, I am new in this forum. My name is Natan Gendelman. I am working with children with various neurological disorders for over 23 years.
Depends on the child, each one is completelly different. If your child is gaining independence and function, and there is no spasticity, but hyper tone - I would think twice. Because botox is making the muscles lax, so you can expect certain decrease in function. But again please do not get me wrong - each child is different. In addition, before making up the decision, please check FDA website for side effects. I personally saw kids going on ventilator after the botx injections. It is very defferent for adults and children.
Sorry if I put any pressure on you, but I think you have to make decision based on pro - and cons.
All the best regards,
Natan
natang

Postby LeaciesMum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:28 am

Hi there, I'm new to this site too. My little girl is almost 4, she has spastic quadraplegic cerebral palsy level 4, although she has no drooling, speech or intelectual problems. Leacie has had 2 treatments with botox now, the first time in her long finger flexors, thumbs and her hamstrings. The second time it was in her hamstrings and calf muscles.

As the others have said, each child is different with how quickly it takes effect and how long the effects will last. The first time I noticed a difference within 3 days for her hands. We then had intensive PT and OT and the results were amazing. Her thumbs are no where near as adducted now 18mths later, even though the botox itself wore off in about 10 weeks. The last lot of botox in her legs took about 5 days before I noticed a change (I could bend her feet in), again some intensive PT and a new Hart Walker made some great gains, unfortunately she went through a huge growth spurt just as it was wearing off (about 9wks later) and she's gone very stiff again.

Almost everyone I've spoken to said that botox is best done when they are young and growing as gradually over a couple of years they build a resistance to it and it's effects last shorter and shorter time until it's not really worthwhile.

My daughter also had an adductor release and they gave her a phenol block at the same time, this was wonderful as it is much longer lasting than the botox.

I don't know about where you are but here in Australia they give a light general anaesthetic when they give the little ones botox. Also they will assess if your child is suitable, they told me that kids who's mouth, throat and airways are affected are poor candidates due to the risks breathing difficulties.

I wish you luck, I hope it goes as well for your little guy as it did for us. :D
* A Strong Mind Can Compensate For A Weak Body *

LeaciesMum

Re: Botox for my two and a half year old

Postby kamsmom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:52 am

I just wanted to update on my son receiving botox. My son got the botox in his calves and abductors. They did not use anything to numb the area...but it was quick. He did very well and it was hard on mommy and daddy. We noticed a big difference in less then 48 hours and its has been about a month and no more changes. My son was a toe walker and can now put his feet flat on the floor. You can tell that this gave him stability and the confidence he needed. He now wants to walk every where and tries to do things by himself. We are so happy that the botox did something for him. Its a scary decision to make as a parent and you have to believe you are making the right choices. He is already scheduled for his second set in December and will get it in his hamstrings. Thanks for everyones stories.

Melissa
Kam's mom
kamsmom

Postby helpisathand » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Please read this site on CB...It will change your life in many ways..God Bless You

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/progre ... palsy.html
Ted on CB

Usually I have found that most conditions of cerebral palsy has to do with the presence of virus or bacteria in the brain cells. The remedy is straightforward, I would just try the hourly lysine 1000 mg for 6 hours, for three days. Should fever rises during that one of the three days, usually this indicates the presence of virus in brain cells and the recurring dizziness should go away. If that is so the case is virus, and elaboration of remedy shall include lithium, lysine, glutamine, citrulline, and threonine to kill the rest of the virus. For example, if tested positive, then lysine, glutamine is taken a 1/2 teaspoon of each for 6 hours for roughly 5 days, a lithium chloride 10% solution is prepared and taken once a day at roughly 10 to 20 drops. The citrulline is taken at only 1/8 teaspoon twice a day, with threonine added at 1/4 teaspoon along with lysine, glutamine dose. Lithium will kill the remaining virus. Over the longer term some licorice extract maybe taken should there is some remaining viruses left over. I have as yet to test the licorice extract to see if it does kill the remaining 5% viruses once the immune system has killed most of them, usually in a matter of 2-3 days. The rest of days after that is just maintenance does to prevent infection. Usually a viral of nature exist along the nerves that control the balance, as similar as Meniere's disease that was cured, or contained in several people who do have it.
helpisathand

Postby kellyjose12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Botox injections for wrinkles in children is not something that should be done or encouraged. It seems odd that we should even be having this discussion.

anti wrinkle brisbane
kellyjose12

Postby ditasnm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:46 pm

kellyjose12, nobody mentioned using botox on children for antiwrinkle purposes. this discussion is about helping children with their disorders & to give them a better life & freedom of movement. Botox really works to alleviate this condition in children and helps to improve their quality of life. it can even be more effective than physio. the treatment should always be performed by a qualified doctor in combination with other rehabilitative measures.
ditasnm

Postby Kmlmommy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:29 pm

My son is 2.5years old and both his private and school therapist are requesting that we start doing botox injections in his thigh muscles in order to reduce his high tone. They suspect it will help him walk. He does not sit, stand, or walk independently, but when he is in a walker he toe walks and scissors with every step. We went to Doernbecher's Childrens Hospital and they are referring us to Shriners to look into Botox treatment.
What are the side effects for such a young boy? Should it be done while he is younger? Should we wait? Could he walk independently without intervening with medical treatments?

Thank you
Kmlmommy

Postby AlbertJohnSmith » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:45 am

Don’t you think, it is too young to go for Botox treatment?
AlbertJohnSmith

Postby Herrybraun » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 am

I can't imagine botox for little even for ten years old. So i didn't recommend botox for babies.
Herrybraun

Postby cm239136 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:15 am

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for such kinda informative post and your post looks very interesting for me.
facebook
cm239136

Postby coreanderson23 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:00 am

My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more!
facebook
coreanderson23

ati

Postby meyena3771 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:24 am

I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work.
Best Boxing Gloves
meyena3771

Re:ati

Postby meyena3771 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:03 am

My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neQZ2_LGukI
meyena3771

Next

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments