Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Botox experiences

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Botox experiences

Postby special-son » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:01 pm

My son is 2 yr 9 mo and had CP and hydrocephalus with VP shunt. He has high tone in legs and arms, low tone in trunk. We are considering botox A injections for the first time to help loosen his legs. Looking for others experience with botox at this age.

Also, we are stationed in Korea, so the procedure will be performed at an English speaking Korean hospital, either Ajou Univ Hospital in Suwon or Samsung Medical Center in Seoul. Feedback from anyone with this unique expierence is also appreciated.

Thank you
Special-son
special-son

Re: Botox experiences

Postby Kolac » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:04 pm

special-son wrote:My son is 2 yr 9 mo and had CP and hydrocephalus with VP shunt. He has high tone in legs and arms, low tone in trunk. We are considering botox A injections for the first time to help loosen his legs. Looking for others experience with botox at this age.

Also, we are stationed in Korea, so the procedure will be performed at an English speaking Korean hospital, either Ajou Univ Hospital in Suwon or Samsung Medical Center in Seoul. Feedback from anyone with this unique expierence is also appreciated.

Thank you

My son had botox on the 14th of February 2007(Peter is 2 years 5 months old). At first he became even stiffer(shot probably hurt), but now he seems alittle bit looser. He will get another treatment in 3 months. I hope it continues to go well. Thanks..Kolac :lol:
Kolac

Postby kidcobb23 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 pm

I always thought that Botox was used to cause paralysis in muscles, but you are saying that it can cause muscles to relax? Is this a reaction that only happens to patients that have cerebral palsy? How effective is Botox on a child with CB? Is this treatment covered by most insurance companies, or is it considered a cosmetic procedure because it is Botox?
kidcobb23

Postby kellyjose12 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Several children being treated with Botox with cerebral palsy have died due to the spread of Botox.
kellyjose12

Postby HenryJohn012 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:38 pm

children being treated with Botox to stop muscle spasticity associated with cerebral palsy have died due to the spread of Botox. These reactions appear to be the result of botulism, which occurs when botulinum toxin spreads in the body beyond the site where it was injected.

The most serious reports of adverse events mostly involved children being treated for cerebral palsy related muscle spasticity, which lead to hospitalization and death.

anti wrinkle injections
HenryJohn012

Postby matwizard301 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:33 am

my son is 4 and has cp.. he will be receiving his first Botox shots... what should i expect? is this going to hurt him and will they sedate him?
matwizard301

Postby healthinmotion » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey everyone,

In my professional and personal opinion, the most important thing is to teach the child all functions all the time. This constant learning will normalize the child’s tone. If there is spasticity, followed by deformation of the joints, then there may be a place for Botox in your child’s treatment program. But keep in mind that there is no such thing as “local injection.” Any agent injected into the body will be absorbed and distributed by the blood throughout the whole body. Before you to decide to allow your health practitioner to use Botox on your child, please consider your child’s age and condition and what gains your child stands to make as a result of the injection. And don’t forget that the effects of Botox wear out over time and that your child would need repeat injections at regular intervals.

To read about the benefits and risks of botox click here : http://enabledkids.ca/?p=68

Thanks,
Natan
Register now for our LIFE Program for kids ages 0-12 and 12-15 with CP, Down syndrome ABI and pediatric stroke! Dates available for 2012. Spaces are limited.
Visit http://www.healthinmotionrehab.com/life-program.php
healthinmotion

Postby doc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi to everybody
In our clinic we have Botox treatment for children with CP. This is not a magic treatment and not for every children with CP. Botox sholud not be used in a children with fix contractures, you should ekpect transient ( depending on clinical statuse, dosage and other conditions) reduce of muscle spasm. It should be used with caution because in fact muscle spasm is in fact minor problem in majority of CP children, mostly the muscle weakness is a real problem so patients for Botox treatment should be carefully selected . In our practice we never had seriously side effects( local pain on the injection site, redness ) but we never used dosage per kg over European recomendations. In my opinion Botox by itself will not make great benefit, but in some patients with intensive exercise (without fix contractures on target extremities) during the period when Botox cause some spasm reduction it can help.
doc

Postby marc311 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:37 am

You may try to consult to this site, http://www.fortworthbotoxandfillers.com/. They have doctors who specializes in botox injection.

Postby floriceB » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Before, I thought Botox cause muscle paralysis and not good for the body. When I tried it, I find myself enjoying it.
floriceB

Postby carrenjay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Yeah i have great experience about this, Botox is actually an extremely lethal toxin made by Clostridium botulinum. You may have heard of 'botulism,' a disease that puts the victim in paralysis and eventually leads to death when the paralysis reaches the vital organs..
Just try to visit my exciting tips digital printing and offset printing
carrenjay

Postby carrenjay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:18 pm

This is really interesting Botox inhibits acetylcholine, a very important neurotransmitter in the nervous system. Without acetylcholine reaching the neuromuscular junction, the muscle is unable to contract, and hence paralysis occurs.
Just try to visit my exciting tips digital printing and offset printing
carrenjay

Postby jasonmore » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:18 pm

This is really interesting Botox inhibits acetylcholine, a very important neurotransmitter in the nervous system. Without acetylcholine reaching the neuromuscular junction, the muscle is unable to contract, and hence paralysis occurs.
Try to visit my site for your more info!!! early case assessment and litigation support
jasonmore

Postby simonatkins » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm

That seems to be very alarming for the child's sake. I want to ask if it is safe for the child's body or if his body can overcome such treatment. Just a question though. I'm very much interested on on topics like this.
simonatkins

Postby aldenJesus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:48 am

Thanks to sharing after that we have not worry about first hand experience about botox treatment or how often we need it seriously caring for major side effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Botox Dubai
aldenJesus

Next

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments