Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

Research into blood types - medical/pastoral responses

Post updates on current Cerebral Palsy treatments and ask questions on current treatments

Moderators: Tmagic650, Lori-ann

Research into blood types - medical/pastoral responses

Postby RevColin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:13 am

Hello forum.

I am a minister in a church in Essex UK.

I have a church member, originally from India, with cerebral palsy. She has done some research into the link between cerebral palsy/premature birth and parental blood groups. She has quite serious literacy and communication issues, but I sat down with her and helped her to write her report.

While the standard of the report is far below that of normal academic medical research, she may well be onto something, but I don't have a medical background, or any contacts I could show her research to.

In the past, this person has been very frustrated that she has not been able to communicate her findings to people, and has felt that she is not being listened to.

So, what I am looking for is someone who could respond to her research medically, and also pastorally.

Anyone out there? I've cut and pasted her report at the end of this post.

Thanks!

Rev Dr Colin Fairweather

Premature deaths in the UK – evidence from South India, and a case study

(1) Introduction

By analysing birth abnormalities in relation to hematological factors in parents, this paper will suggest a significant possible factor for premature births in the UK. The correlation between birth abnormalities and parental groups has not yet been appreciated by medical research in this country.

The two hematological factors this paper will consider is the presence of a haemoglobin sub-variant, and the positivity or negativity of parental blood groups.

(2) Background to research

I myself was born prematurely, by 28 weeks. My birth weight was 1200g, and because of this I have studied and researched premature births and deaths for the past 23 years. In the Indian village of Olivakkal where I was born, there have been incidences of cerebral palsy in the eldest-born female child for the past 400 years. According to the oral testimony of my grandfather, there have been 3 or 4 female children suffering from celebral palsy in each generation that he has witnessed. In my generation, I was one of those who was affected by cerebral palsy.

My research in different regions of India involved me studying people with cerebral palsy from a variety of religious backgrounds. Because of this, my research has involved the study of religious philosophy as well as medical science and herbal medicines.

I have collected a lot of data from India, including from my family members from Olivakkal. In my family, my great grandmother (name unknown) suffered from cerebral palsy. My aunt Navaneetham (born 1943, died 1976), and myself (born 1973) also suffered from the condition. In the UK, my niece Rajam died after being born 7 months prematurely in 2001.

(3) Methodology

The two methods employed in this study are sampling and case study.

The study was conducted in the following stages:

(a) In collaboration with medical students from Pondy Hospital, I sampled data from
• 100 couples in the South India region with normal healthy children
• 100 couples in the South India with children suffering from some abnormality
(b) I then attempted to relate the condition of the children to instances where parents’ blood groups were similarly positive, similarly negative, or where there was a difference in positive or negative blood groups
(c) I used my own family as a case study, and compared this data to data collected from South India. I will refer to this data as ‘subject’s family data’.

The information from South India was communicated orally due to low literacy rates in the areas of India

In the data presented for the subject’s family, the information for DOB is incomplete in some instances, because it was not recorded, and is not known.

(4a) Hematological factor 1 – haemoglobin D Punjab

Haemoglobin D Punjab (HDP) is a regionally specific sub-variant haemoglobin. It was named because of its higher prevalence in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan. It is also the most frequent abnormal haemoglobin variant in the autonomous region of Kinjiang Uyghur in China. Studies indicate that haemoglobin D Punjab occurs in 55% of the Punjabi population today. HDP was discovered in the early 1950s in a mixed British and American family of Indian origin from Los Angeles; hence its also called D Los Angeles. HDP is the 4th most common haemoglobin variant. It develops as a response to the selective pressures of malaria in Asia. Now, however, HDP is worldwide. In the last 30 years, occurrences of HDP have increased worldwide.

(4b) Hematological factor 2 - blood groups
Data from India suggests that disabled children are more likely where one parent has a positive blood group, and the other a negative blood group. If possible, it would be advisable for people with similarly negative blood groups marry, to avoid disability in children.

Findings of research

(a) Negative blood groups

This data was collected from 100 couples in South India

Mother’s blood group
Father’s blood group
Percentage of babies suffering death from premature birth or disability
Any negative
Any negative
0%
Any negative
Any positive group
35%

(b) Positive blood groups

This data was collected from 100 couples in South India

Mother’s blood group
Father’s blood group
Percentage of babies suffering death from premature birth or disability
Positive
Positive in the same group
35%
Positive
Positive in another group
0%

For both (a) and (b), HDP sub-variant was present in either the mother, or the father, or both, for most of the 35% of children affected.

(c) subject’s family data

Name of child
DOB
Generation
Mother’s blood group
Father’s blood group
Condition of child
Navaneetham
first
A+
A+
cerebral palsy
Rama
25th July 1973
second
O+
O+
premature birth/cerebral palsy
Rajam
third
O+
O+
stillborn after 7 months

In Rama’s case, both the mother and father, and Rama herself, had HDP.

Conclusion
The subject’s family data correlates with data collected from the South India region. Where the parents’ blood groups are both positive, an abnormal condition has resulted. HDP is also a factor for both Rama’s parents, and Rama herself.

I hypothesise that a number of premature births in the UK may be due to the same reasons, namely,

(a) similarly positive blood groups (as evidenced by subject’s family data), or positive/negative blood groups (as evidenced by the research in South India)
(b) the occurrence of HDP in parents

I recommend that further research be done urgently in this area.

RevColin

Return to Cerebral Palsy Treatments