Donate to cerebralpalsyforum.net today by clicking the button above

UCP Useless?

Have you received help through United Cerebral Palsy? Post your experiences here.

Moderators: Lori-ann, Tmagic650

UCP Useless?

Postby Tmagic650 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:42 am

For me and others I have known, UCP is more interested in doing nothing rather than helping people with CP just about on every level... They are great at giving excuses and wasting time. Each State's Independent Living Centers are much better sources of one on one help and information.

Wether we have CP or any other condition caused by injury of the brain or nervous system, we have all been lumped together by UCP. We are all human, but my CP may not be like others and I may need a different type of help than someone else
Spastic Diplegia CP
aka Kurt... Sometime walks, sometime rolls
Tmagic650

Postby Teryn » Wed May 31, 2006 4:33 pm

Here in Portland Oregon UCP does offer some support for parents of kids with CP. They have a support coordinater to let you know what services are available in your area, a yearly conference with speakers on different topics and a monthly support group for parents. I do feel that they spend a lot of money though on paying the people that work for them and wish there was better use of the money donated.

Kurt,

Have you ever thought of trying to be on one of their committee boards so that you can have a say and input on what they're doing in your area?
Teryn

Postby Tmagic650 » Wed May 31, 2006 6:17 pm

Local area Independent Living Centers have a lot more to offer to people with CP. I was involved with many people who never got any help or support from United Cerebral Palsy. They should change their name to United States Nervous System Advocates... I know several people on their boards. You are a parent, not someone with CP. Try working with them on the level of having CP... They never have anything to offer us adults. Remember, we were once children with CP too. They're a sad supporter to us with CP. To you parents they may be something else. You wil never really understand what your child has to deal with having CP, please remember this
Spastic Diplegia CP
Tmagic650

Postby Teryn » Wed May 31, 2006 6:57 pm

It's funny because in your post I felt some hostility and actually felt defensive about what you said. It made me think that maybe you took my suggestion personally when I was just trying to think of what could be done to change things and make them better. There's no way that any of us can fully comprehend another person's situation. You will never know what it means to be a mom with a child who has CP but that doesn't really matter. What's important is that we support each other and try to make things better for those who will come after us.
Teryn

Postby Tmagic650 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:36 am

There are a lot more options open to parents and their children with CP now. It is unfortunate that these parents and children are more "isolated" from information on CP because there is a lot more Mainstreaming. I was one of the first people to be "mainstreamed" in my area of the country. This was in 1966-67 in Los Angeles, California. Because I was educated for the most part, in schools for the disabled, we were able to see and talk about new surgeries and other treatments for CP first hand. One child would experience a treatment. If it was beneficial, others would try it. Parents could compare notes, their children could compare notes. To depend on UCP for anything is just foolish in my opinion
Spastic Diplegia CP
Tmagic650

Re: UCP Useless?

Postby JakeJosiah » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:46 am

In fact dependable, fantastic, fact-filled advice in this case. A items Have let down, and that also clearly is valid in this case to boot. Most people consistently can make for a worthwhile read through. How can you show So i am floored?: )#) Cultivate the nice content pieces. Tax Advice
JakeJosiah

Postby jixubo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:00 am

A useful marked opinion of the teacher and master is uploaded for the candidates. The reform of the society and payforessay reviews are beneficial for the visitors. It has been done for the performances for the persons in the midst of the calculations.
jixubo

Postby nyqodexi » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:36 am

Yes, the whole egg, but you have been made to believe that whole eggs (whites and yolks) are unhealthy. Instead, other people tell you to drop the yolks and eat what remains of the eggs. But what remains on food near me that delivers in California the eggs after removing the yolks? Nothing does. Over 90% of all nutrients of an egg are on the yolks, and eating whites are waste of money and waste of nutrients as well.
nyqodexi

Postby Eilers » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:41 am

Choosing the best eye doctor is one of the best decisions you can ever make when it comes to taking care of your precious eyesight. As a general rule, you need to have regular eye doctor near me eye examinations and should consult your doctor at the very first sign of any vision-related problem to continue enjoying good eyesight even as you age.
Eilers

Postby Everett » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:01 am

Bank Card Systems can provide partial to all of the solutions necessary for your restaurant. We offer Pos System and software, as well as cash registers with integrated credit processing payment card processing, and tableside services.
Everett

Return to United Cerebral Palsy